In 1981 the Österreichische Studiengesellschaft für Kybernetik (Austrian Society for Cybernetic Studies), the Society for General Systems Researchand, and the Systeemgroep Nederland founded the International Federation for Systems Research. IFSR is a a non-profit, scientific and educational agency, constituted of member organizations from various countries. The overall purpose of the Federation is to advance cybernetic and systems research and systems applications and to serve the international systems community.
Its Goals were approved by its board at its founding meeting, in June 1980, in Vienna, Austria:
- Strengthen the programs of member societies by their involvement in the program and network of IFSR (Social Learning Goal)
- Facilitate (encourage) the development of Systems Science in countries in which such programs do not yet exist or are now developing (Membership Development)
- Develop – implement – evaluate IFSR level programs to meet the purposes of IFSR; to advance Systems Science (Synergetic Goal)
- Identify inventory System Science relevant resources, acquire those and make them accessible to member societies (Resource Development Goal)
- Make contribution to the larger (global) scientific community and be of service to improve the (global) human condition and enrich the quality of life of all (Global Mission)