Vienna 2014 | Workshop | The Dynamical Basis of Social Emergence
In November 2014, the Bertalanffy Center hosted as Visiting Scholar John Collier from South Africa, University of KwaZulu-Natal in Durban. On 25 November 2014 he held a 3 hours workshop giving an overview of the concept of emergence (scientific and philosophical), a criticism of important approaches, a list of essential properties of emergence from a dynamical point of view and an outlook to the application of those ingredients to the problem of emergence of and in social systems. One important unanswered question was whether in social systems the term “dissipation” might be used to signify a dynamics different from the dissipation of energy in the thermodynamical sense.
Please find the power-point presentation here.
Subscribe to our Systems Newsletter
- Keynote at the invitation of CIRCULAR4.0 “The European Green Deal – Economic Potential for SMEs”
- Keynote address at the invitation of Energie Steiermark “Potentials of the Circular Economy”
- Expert interview with Circular Business Academy (CBA), Slovenia on the innovation potential of the circular economy for SMEs
- UNIDO: Global consultations on circular economy
- Mission Innovation Austria 2021: A platform for all drivers and shapers of innovation and the energy system of the future