On the foundations of systems
The project on the “Metaphysics of Emergence” has yielded a milestone. Scientific Council member Rainer E. Zimmermann published the first volume of a three-volumes book publication on the topic.
The manuscript was finalised during Zimmermann’s stay in Vienna as Researcher in Residence last year. It deals with philosophical and mathematical foundations of complex systems. Metaphysics means in that context that mathematics can help us understand what we call the world; however, our experience goes always beyond that which can be said about it. That’s in line with Ludwig von Bertalanffy’s research ambitions: to mathematise as much as possible but resort to natural language whenever mathematics fails.
Subscribe to our Systems Newsletter
- Keynote at the invitation of CIRCULAR4.0 “The European Green Deal – Economic Potential for SMEs”
- Keynote address at the invitation of Energie Steiermark “Potentials of the Circular Economy”
- Expert interview with Circular Business Academy (CBA), Slovenia on the innovation potential of the circular economy for SMEs
- UNIDO: Global consultations on circular economy
- Mission Innovation Austria 2021: A platform for all drivers and shapers of innovation and the energy system of the future