On the foundations of systems
The project on the “Metaphysics of Emergence” has yielded a milestone. Scientific Council member Rainer E. Zimmermann published the first volume of a three-volumes book publication on the topic.
The manuscript was finalised during Zimmermann’s stay in Vienna as Researcher in Residence last year. It deals with philosophical and mathematical foundations of complex systems. Metaphysics means in that context that mathematics can help us understand what we call the world; however, our experience goes always beyond that which can be said about it. That’s in line with Ludwig von Bertalanffy’s research ambitions: to mathematise as much as possible but resort to natural language whenever mathematics fails.
Subscribe to our Systems Newsletter
- A systemic view on the Corona-crisis revisited by BCSSS Vicepresident Felix Tretter
- The BCSSS proudly presents the first Special Award for ‘Action on Climate Change’ in cooperation with IIID
- New publications by BCSSS Board member Ray Ison
- A systemic view on the Corona-crisis by BCSSS Vicepresident Felix Tretter
- Join our joint School of Thinking in Brussels and learn how systems thinking connects with further famous schools of thought