Ludwig von Bertalanffy as representative of Viennese zoology
In a book contribution co-authored by Gerd B. Müller, Vice President of the BCSSS, and Hans Nemeschkal, both at the Department of Theoretical Biology at the University of Vienna, Ludwig von Bertalanffy is presented in the context of the history of the Viennese zoology. Bertalanffy’s unique contribution was what they call a biological systems theory (S. 361-362). Particular reference is given to the convergence of Nobel laureate Ilya Prigogine’s and Bertalanffy’s thoughts.
The title of the recent book is ‘Reflexive Innensichten aus der Universität – Disziplinengeschichten zwischen Wissenschaft, Gesellschaft und Politik’ and was published by the Vienna University Press.
The book is in German, please find an extract here.
Subscribe to our Systems Newsletter
- A systemic view on the Corona-crisis revisited by BCSSS Vicepresident Felix Tretter
- The BCSSS proudly presents the first Special Award for ‘Action on Climate Change’ in cooperation with IIID
- New publications by BCSSS Board member Ray Ison
- A systemic view on the Corona-crisis by BCSSS Vicepresident Felix Tretter
- Join our joint School of Thinking in Brussels and learn how systems thinking connects with further famous schools of thought