Configuring Patterns and Pattern Languages for Systemic Inquiry and Design – New Article by Helene Finidori
Helene Finidori is a BCSSS Member and the Leader of the Systems Science and Pattern Literacy BCSSS Research Group. She currently pursues a PhD at the University of Hull’s Centre for Systems Studies, is an affiliate researcher of the Evolution, Complexity and COgnition group(ECCO), and a Research Fellow of The Schumacher Institute.
She recently published a new paper on Configuring Patterns and Pattern Languages for Systemic Inquiry and Design.
This paper was reviewed at the Pattern Languages of Programmes (Plop) conference and presented at the Portland Urban Architecture Laboratory (PUARL) meeting in October 2018. The presentation slides can be watched below:
The paper builds on work relating to pattern languages for social change and is based on two further articles of Helene from 2015 (Fourth generation pattern languages – patterns as epistemic threads for systemic orientation) and from 2017 (Pattern Literacy in support of Systems Literacy). In this recent publication Helene explores how a systemic approach to pattern language could support systemic inquiry and systemic design, and more generally the advancement of pattern language.
Helene aims to bring pattern thinking and systems thinking closer to each other, in order to further introduce pattern thinking and pattern language in the design, assessment and orientation of socio-technological and socio-environmental systems and, thus, to better address the societal issues of our time. Helene’s broader aim is to enhance the innate patterning capability of human beings. Therefore, an overall pattern literacy in support of systems literacy is Helene’s focus.
Subscribe to our Systems Newsletter
- Keynote at the invitation of CIRCULAR4.0 “The European Green Deal – Economic Potential for SMEs”
- Keynote address at the invitation of Energie Steiermark “Potentials of the Circular Economy”
- Expert interview with Circular Business Academy (CBA), Slovenia on the innovation potential of the circular economy for SMEs
- UNIDO: Global consultations on circular economy
- Mission Innovation Austria 2021: A platform for all drivers and shapers of innovation and the energy system of the future