Vienna 2017 | Workshop | Systems Approaches to Information Ethics III
The third meeting of the project “Systems Approaches to Information Ethics” was held in Vienna 13-17 November 2017.
The topics included:
- foundational questions of systems approaches (evolutionary theory, emergentist systemism and normativity; information in the context of Being and non-being, actuality and potentiality, and existence and non-existence);
- problems of Information Ethics approaches (inter- and/or transcultural Information Ethics; the possible reconciliation of the perspectives of Capurro, Ess and Floridi); and
- applications questions (Internet and cognitive enhancement; convivialism as provider of design criteria; dystopias in novels and technology; current norms and rules in the area of Business Ethics like ISO 26000, GRI standards, concept of triple P, “Gemeinwohlmatrix”; Ethically Aligned Design as proposed by the IEEE Global Initiative for Ethical Considerations in AI and Autonomous Systems).
Cristina Voinea, PhD student in philosophy from the University of Bucharest, working on Internet governance, was guest of the Center and participated in the meeting along with our current PhD scholars from the School of Humanities at the Jiaotong University, Xi’an, Liang Wang and Tianqi Wu, and with our most recently elected Fellow of the Bertalanffy Center, Annette Grathoff, besides the leaders of the project, Wolfgang Hofkirchner and Tomáš Sigmund. In addition, BCSSS Fellow Felix Tretter, Robert Jahn, Renate Quehenberger and Stefan Blachfellner contributed to the discussion.
The project started in January 2017. The meeting was supported by the University of Economics, Prague, the University of Bucharest, and the Bertalanffy Center. It is connected to the activities of the international “Emergent Systems, Information and Society” Group.
Find contributions here:
Annette Grathoff | The evolutionary perspective
Tianqi Wu | A new perspective on existence and non-existence
Tomáš Sigmund | Phenomenological perspective on Information Ethics
Subscribe to our Systems Newsletter
- Keynote at the invitation of CIRCULAR4.0 “The European Green Deal – Economic Potential for SMEs”
- Keynote address at the invitation of Energie Steiermark “Potentials of the Circular Economy”
- Expert interview with Circular Business Academy (CBA), Slovenia on the innovation potential of the circular economy for SMEs
- UNIDO: Global consultations on circular economy
- Mission Innovation Austria 2021: A platform for all drivers and shapers of innovation and the energy system of the future